Prior to 1684, the Lenape
Indians roamed the hills and fished the streams of the
land on either side of the Perkiomen Creek. In 1684, the Indians
lost this land when
William Penn purchased it for reportedly "two watch coats, four
pairs of stockings and four bottles of cider". In time, Pennsylvania
Germans settled in the area.
Around 1840, the area now know as Pennsburg began to take on the
appearance of a village. The hub consisted of a general store,
a carpenter and blacksmith shop and
several houses. Most of the land was owned by the Heilig
Brothers. They owned and
resided in the oldest house in Pennsburg located at Seminary and
The Heilig Brothers took it upon themselves to refer to this village
Residents had their own ideas, and out of loyalty to the then
James Buchanan, wanted to name the area Buchanansville.
As the village grew in size, a meeting was held in 1843 at the
Hillegas family store to
decide on a permanent name and lay out boundary lines. After a
week long bitterly
contested battle, it was finally decided to name the village
In the 1870's, Pennsburg's 75 residents welcomed the arrival of the
cigar and railroad industries. These 75 residents collectively
petitioned the court in Montgomery County
to incorporate into a borough. On November 19, 1887, the 370
acre parcel of land
became the "Borough of Pennsburg".
Today the are covers nearly one square mile and has over 3,800
While Pennsburg remains rich in heritage, it continues to improve
Pennsburg Borough Today
Housing Units: 1,078
Land Area: 0.77 sq. mi.
Water Area: 0 sq. mi.
Total Area: 0.77 sq. mi.
Population Density: 3,567.80/sq. mi.
Housing Density: 1,407.80/sq. mi.